I still remember those days when the dog in our ancestral house was fed anything that was a leftover at our dining table. It was normal for us to gather all the left-over food and dump it into the dog’s plate. Most of the dogs like it and they are ready to eat anything. Sometimes they do this without even chewing the food. But what we forget is the fact that this is an absolute no-no when it comes to feeding your dog.
There are a lot of foods that should never be given to dogs. But in our ignorance we feed our dogs with these foods thus resulting in their poor health.
Let’s take a look at some foods that should not be given to your dogs:
- Dogs have a habit of eating raw and uncooked food. Raw meat can be harmful to your dogs. When you cook meat you eliminate any harmful substances present in them. Hence it is always advisable to feed only cooked meat to your dogs.
- Same is the case with raw vegetables even. Raw vegetables especially Onion should be avoided. Onions, even if cooked can be bad for your dogs. It can damage your dog’s blood cells and might even cause anemia.
- Similarly mushrooms contain toxins which can cause liver and kidney damages in dogs.
- Fruits are always considered healthy and we do not think twice before throwing a few grapes or, raisins to our dogs. You might not be aware that grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure. It can also cause vomiting and diarrhea.
- Caffeine can also be very harmful to dogs. Caffeine is toxic and can cause seizures in dogs and can also affect their heart and nervous system. Hence drinks containing caffeine should be avoided.
- It is normal for us to feed our dogs with chicken bones. This is because we think that they are capable of chewing it. But the fact of the matter is that chicken and meat bones can splinter and can get stuck in their jaws and throat. It could cause choking and might even tear up their digestive system. Hence it is important that you avoid feeding dogs with chicken, meat bones, and even fish bones.
Amongst other things that are harmful are chocolates and sugar free gums. Chocolates can prove to be toxic to dogs. Also bear in mind that the darker the chocolate the more harmful it is. Sugar free gums contain substances that can lower your dog’s sugar levels which could prove to be fatal.
It is not deliberately that we feed our dogs with foods that are harmful to them. It is often due to ignorance that we do that. The information above might serve the purpose of a handbook guide which can help you decide on what to feed your dogs.